Off Road Werkz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Off Road Werkz

To Unite the 4 Wheel Drive Community in Ventura County California.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

new to the block,,,

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
805'sk5

new to the block,,, Empty
PostSubject: new to the block,,,   new to the block,,, EmptyFri Mar 21, 2008 6:28 am

hey guys,, im bryan i live in port hueneme, ca. I heard about your shop through a friend of mine who bought some parts from you guys.. He had mentiond that he was in their and over heard someone talkin about going wheelin and he thought it was cool to hear about people who like to hangout and teach others how to offroad their trucks. I thought it would be cool to meet some local people who are into wheelin and not being A..holes.. I currently own a 86 k5 blazer-sbc 350, edelbrock intake/carb/waterpump/valve covers/air cleaner- gear drive, headman headers to dual flowmasters( No cats, or any smog crap) it sits on 35 in mudders with what looks like a 6 in lift in front and a 4 in the back.. its still a LONG LONG LONNNNNNGGG ways away from being a trail rig, its got alot of issues from being someones project before me, but it runs good Daily!~ I appoligize for my rambling on, i have a baby on the way so im dying to get out..
Back to top Go down
broncobear

PostSubject: Re: new to the block,,,   new to the block,,, EmptyTue Mar 25, 2008 2:32 pm

Hi Bryan, Welcome to the ORW forum.
Sounds like you have a good rig to start wheelin' in. Big trucks like Blazers, Big Broncos, or full size Pickups are usually into sand or mud. If you intend to learn trails and rock crawling, you may have a harder time on narrower trails, but it's all good.
I didn't see a mention about lockers. If you don't have them, get them ASAP. If you can only afford one at a time, then do the back first. A locker will get you through obstacles a lot easier.
Mud and sand are fairly flat and easy. Trails require some learning how to deal with different obstacles (rock gardens, climbing hills, water crossing, etc.
If you're truck (buildup) OR you (trail educated) are not ready to run trails, you could passenger with someone else and pick up some wheeling tips. A lot of guys will take you and probably only ask for a pitch-in for gas. 4x4s biggest nemesis. Well, I guess not the Suzuki drivers.
Anyway, gotta get back to work.Post you need a ride. I just started a new job, and I'm working 58 hrs a week for awhile, so I can't take you to Calico at the end of the month (see events). Keep reading the forums for upcoming events and ask for rides.
CYAL8R
Back to top Go down
805'sk5

PostSubject: ,,   new to the block,,, EmptyWed Mar 26, 2008 6:03 pm

Ive done some wheeling at pismo, and the riverbottom. But nothing as far as a actual trail. Ive been watching videos forever now and im totally ready to give it a shot. As far as the locker issue.. i was told an inexpesive way ( but still strong) was to put a spool in the rear and some kind of locker in the front. When i do the locker/or spool i would like to re-gear the front and rear end.. its got the stock 3:08's with 35 inch tires kinda sucks..haha but its better than my 02 tacoma prerunner thats sittin in the garage""" thats a whole other issue""". As soon as my son is born ill be ready to go on a run with you guys.. Im currently enrolling myself in a Welding class at V. C, after all ive seen A WHOLE LOT of welding goin on some of those top truck videos..haha Anyways, thanks for the invite on the ride.. The full size rig on trail issue.. i want to be that fullsize who runs where the smaller rigs go.. i understand theres gonna be alot of damage with that but hey... isnt fixing/ working on your rig part of the fun??? well see ya later guys...
Back to top Go down
broncobear

PostSubject: Re: new to the block,,,   new to the block,,, EmptyWed Mar 26, 2008 8:03 pm

Good attitude.
If you want to spool the rear, all you have to do is weld up the spider gears. Cheaper than buying and setting up a real spool. Same result to become locked full time. On the street you will chirp around corners, and wear the tires a little more than normal.
As far as the front, a 100% locker may keep pulling you up a hill, but it wants to go straight. I would suggest a Detroit Tru-Trac that locks up 85% and you can still steer. No problems climbing and steering from mine, and with ARB in back. ARB is fully locked with a flick of a switch.
TRAIL LEARNIN' 101
In my opinion, one thing you should practice until you've got it down, is backing down a hill. I practiced an hour at Oceano Dunes (less damage if you roll). Drive up and back down, next time climb higher and back down, repeat until you can feel comfortable doing it. You don't want to practice on a hill you couldn't make to the top. I've seen people get going too fast backing down and bicycling (on two wheels) at the bottom.
CYAL8R
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: new to the block,,,   new to the block,,, Empty

Back to top Go down

new to the block,,,
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Off Road Werkz :: Topics :: New Wheelers On The Block-
Jump to: